Chatter provides Push email on Treo devices and ROCKS!!!

Oh no, it looks like I may have to shell out the additional cash for the Treo 650 soon. Peter is laughing at my current situation because I usually get all worked up over a device and then calm down after a couple weeks. However, the Treo device is getting better all the time and I am REALLY loving the navigation with the directional pad.

One application that I just discovered on the TreoCentral forums that may just make the Treo a KILLER device for me is Chatter Email. This amazing program gives me INSTANT push email functionality via my Mailblocks IMAP account for only a $32 one time cost. Emails are arriving on my Treo 600 as fast as they arrive in my Inbox via the web interface and it is blowing me away! I love using IMAP since it allows me to manage my email on multiple devices without losing any emails in the process like I used to do all the time with POP access. I plan on reviewing this program, but have to say no other email program I have tried (SnapperMail, VersaMail, Agendus Mail) can touch this functionality. Those other programs can be set to check your email on a timed schedule, but how many times does it do all this and there is no new email while wasting battery life? With the unlimited T-Mobile data plan, my IMAP email account, and Chatter Email I am set and I can now see why BlackBerry owners like the push email functionality. I have spent many hours over the years prompting my email program to check email only to find there is none to worry about.

1. #1 by Anonymous on February 23, 2005 - 13:51

Hey Matt,

Can you elaborate on the difference between IMAP and POP email? I have POP with my Earthlink. How do you get IMAP?

Thanks, Robert

2. #2 by palmsolo on February 23, 2005 - 14:33

Robert,

Check out The IMAP Connection for all the technical details on the differences.

I don’t think Earthlink has IMAP servers so you would then need to use a 3rd party client. Check out the link to Chattermail where they list one free alternative. I use the paid version of Mailblocks for my IMAP email, but they also have a free version that may help you. You can set up Mailblocks to get email from multiple accounts (it collects from 6 of mine) and then get the incredible PUSH email service from Chatter on your Treo.

3. #3 by LAK on March 2, 2005 - 10:50

Are they going to come out with a PPC version that is the question!
    I would LOVE this on my PDK2!

4. #4 by Anonymous on April 18, 2005 - 08:49

one thing the blackberry and good services provide are contact synchronization. exchange contacts sync with the devices contacts list. do you know if chatter or any other client will do this for the palm device? we’d love to be able to use exchange active sync rather than having another server and license to maintain.

5. #5 by palmsolo on April 20, 2005 - 07:12

The Treo 650 uses built-in Exchange ActiveSync to provide wireless synchronization of e-mail and calendar between Exchange Server 2003 and the Treo 650. I am not sure if it works with Contacts as well. I do not have access to an Exchange server so I cannot test out any of these ActiveSync features.

Many companies, including palmOne and even Symbian, are licensing ActiveSync and it is too bad my work uses Novell 😦

6. #6 by Anonymous on June 14, 2005 - 13:19

The Exchange ActiveSync w/ the Treo 650 does not sync the Contacts wirelessly. You’d have to do a direct HotSync. EAC only does your Inbox and Calendar. In any case, there’s still a lot of kinks EAS need to work on.

7. #7 by Anonymous on August 12, 2005 - 18:37

Nothing beats blackberry. Sure, the treo does have a wealth of software out there, but frankly, the design and User Interface make for fussy, clumsy and tedious usage. I have a Blackberry 7290 and a Treo 600. The blackberry is lucky if it gets a reboot once a month, whereas even with a soft reset and plenty of free memory the Treo is very buggy. Treo poor battery life, frequent drops of signal even in well covered areas. The camera is rubbish, really rubbish, the email client is very poor, very basic and screen clarity is not very nice at all.

For me the Blackberry is like a Rally car. Its got only what it needs to run well and nothing extra. Its what any serious business person should be using.