Treo 650 on the chopping block

Should the Treo 650 stay or go? This is a question I have been tossing around a bit today since I have over $875 in Treo gear that I could sell for $600. Gear includes an unlocked Treo 650, Piel Frama Crocodile case, extra battery, retractable sync/charge cable, extra stylus pack, and screen protectors. I have been a bit frustrated with the device lately with the recent lockups and phone call quality. The lockups may be due to Verichat so I removed the application today. I expect my device to perform when I want it or need it to and the Treo 650 failed yesterday with the PDF file that I could not view. It also failed when my wife was trying to make a simple call and this isn’t the first time this has happened recently. I am also a bit frustrated that palmOne hasn’t returned any of my communication to them concerning issues with the GSM device while Sprint customers already received an update that fixes most of the issues. I am seriously considering dropping the Treo 650 and going back to using my Tungsten T3 as my main Palm Powered device.

I also discovered I am spending too much time with my devices and not enough with my wife. My wife and family are more important than some geeky hardware and Ed Hardy posted a great editorial today on Brighthand stating that we need to free ourselves from email. I functioned fine using the Inbox application on my PDA2K before and no one died as a result of my receiving email every hour or so. The push email I have on the Treo 650 with Chatter is amazing, but also addictive and 99% of the emails I received weren’t even that important enough to require this kind of attention.

So, does anyone want to buy a complete Treo 650 package for $600? I will probably put it up on the various discussion boards later today. I do like the hardware and will miss the device, but other things in life are more important to me right now and the PDA2K is a more reliable and powerful device that meets my real needs and hasn’t let me down.

1. #1 by Anonymous on April 22, 2005 - 16:29

Adobe reader for palm requires conversion thru your pc before it allows you to read anything on your palm. The only viewer I know of which lets you view native pdf files (as well as just about any other file) is picsel viewer. Unfortunately for you it is not being sold and the only way to get it is off of an OS5 Clie which are becoming difficult to find. You may, however, find this interesting: http://www.1src.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83857&page=1&pp=40

Best of luck

2. #2 by Anonymous on April 22, 2005 - 21:50

Didn’t you originally buy you treo 650 with a $100 dollars off? Surprised you would be making it sound like such a discount.

I just ordered a 650 myself after reading what seemed like previous positive experience with the device. I tend to stay with the core apps so maybe I’ll have better luck than you.

I am curious if the new memory model has anything to do with the flakiness you’ve been experiencing.

3. #3 by palmsolo on April 23, 2005 - 08:03

Yes, I did buy it for $600. However, if you read the whole ad you will see that I am including another $200 worth of accessories essentially for free.

4. #4 by Anonymous on April 23, 2005 - 14:52

I am using the TREO 650 for about 4 weeks now – and have the same strange hangups / resets as you. But for me, Chatter instant Push-eMail is still a killer-App, and I filter my several eMail accounts strongly into an unknown background account for the treo, so i do not get annoyed. And VeriChat is extremely helpful for me when out geocaching and needing a helpline (who is available . . ).

I wish you luck and fun with your devices!

5. #5 by serantes on April 24, 2005 - 11:19

Hi. congratulations for your blog and experiences, both them are great.

I�ve been working with a Treo 600 for some months but reached the same problems you haver reached now with your Treo 650.

I thought this model would have increased its funcionallity :C but plamOne goes on with some wrong view of the reality.

Hope someday a good fusioned phone and pda arrives.

Greetings from Spain
    Serantes
    HispaPUG Galicia Coordinator

P.D. Sorry for my horrible written English

6. #6 by Anonymous on May 20, 2005 - 18:37

Get rid of it! I enable security mine and found it like to make 911 calls. When the password screen come up there is also a big button “Make emergency call.” As soon as the button is touch it’s calling 911, No password is needed no confirmation is done. While it takes two button to get to that screen if I put the phone in my pocket the keys WILL get bumped in the right order to make a 911 call. Cingulur an Palm just point fingers at each other so support is call the other guy. I’m writing off $600 because of the liablity of calling 911.