Treo 650 or HTC Wizard: What do you think?

I had planned on making a decision on whether to keep or sell the Treo 650 and buy or return the HTC Wizard by Saturday, but I am still having trouble figuring it out. This has been a very tough process since both devices are quite nice. Both pieces of hardware are very well designed and here is what I am debating about now as far as what each device has over the other:

Treo 650 positives

• Keyboard backlight is incredible
  • Screen resolution is awesome
  • Super speedy response in application switching
  • Favorites and dialing ROCK
  • Use of Secure Digital (I have several cards)
  • Best reception I ever saw on a mobile phone
  • I have a TON of accessories for it (cases, cables, cradle, battery, screen protector)

Treo 650 negatives

• 2MB download limit
  • No WiFi
  • No multi-tasking ability
  • Confusing file structure

HTC Wizard positives

• Larger display
  • 802.11g and Bluetooth 2 (coming via ROM update)
  • Using Voice Command via Bluetooth headset
  • Better file handling experience with Windows Mobile
  • Nice web browsing experience in full screen IE
  • Latest and greatest device
  • Use of Mini USB for sync and charging
  • Well spaced and designed keyboard
  • Can use Smartphone GPS applications one handed

HTC Wizard negatives

• Processor response is slower than 650
  • RF search sometimes hangs
  • Dialing is not easy in portrait mode
  • Use of miniSD
  • Limited ROM capacity

Other factors I am thinking about as part of my decision include the fact that I have a camera with SD card slot and it is nice to view them on a mobile device, I have a Dell Axim X51v WM 5.0 device with VGA display and two expansion slots, I could wait until 2006 when T-Mobile has a version of the Wizard and maybe even wait for the WM Treo, I have a Tungsten T3 to use as my Palm unit, I personally prefer the Windows Mobile OS, and with the Wizard I can easily get wireless access via cable on my Tablet.

1. #1 by mfoo1 on October 10, 2005 - 16:24

From your pros and cons, sounds like the 650 has it based on the usability/fun factor!

2. #2 by Antoine on October 10, 2005 - 18:58

I would think that the 650 works best for you as well as there seems to be less the “latest and greatest” aspect to it. But it also seems that in some form that a WM PDA Phone could possibly replace some of what you use your tabletPC for. It seems kinda hard.

In looking at your needs and wants, the 650 seems less a want and more of a need kind of device. Whereas the WM seems more like it can do both. In your boat, I’d be up in the air and cast lots for the next disciple….er PDA 🙂

3. #3 by Luch on October 10, 2005 - 19:06

I would switch over to the K-Jam… your negatives about the k-jam are not that bad and the k-jam does have more ability then the treo.

I am personally going to wait for the production QTEK 9100 to come out and read reviews on that before I make up my mind on either going with the k-jam or the qtek,

4. #4 by alexis on October 11, 2005 - 02:45

As you know I’ve followed your decision closely because I’ve had to make the same one myself.

In the end I decided to stick with my new Treo 650, partly because it was over 100 quid cheaper, but mostly because of the practicalities. Before being an ssh client, a news reader, a movie watcher, etc., the device needs to be an excellent phone and a pda. And it sounds like the Treo is still better for that. A lesser factor: I never actually used the camera on my Treo 600 because it was so crap, so it would be a shame to go back to that now that I’ll be taking thumbnails for the addressbook.

If you don’t particularly need wifi, and if you already have the treo software you’d need to buy to outfit your k-jam, then it really seems like a simple choice.

Then again, it sounds like you’ve got such a menagerie of devices, that you will probably want to get the newest new thing just for the fun of it. Myself, I can’t afford the local GPRS rates so I really would have liked wifi support. But I’m thinking I’ll run a bluetooth access point off of a dongle in my linux server instead. The novelty of that, or the frustration of it, will be my new gadget for the moment.

5. #5 by Anonymous on October 11, 2005 - 09:56

Can you confirm that the K-JAM has Windows Mobile Excel, Word and Powerpoint with it?

6. #6 by palmsolo on October 11, 2005 - 09:58

Yes, it has Word Mobile, Excel Mobile, and PowerPoint Mobile.

7. #7 by mjrkjm on October 11, 2005 - 11:48

sounds like you should keep both the treo 650 and the k-jam and get rid of the t3 and axim v51, but thats just me haha

8. #8 by palmsolo on October 11, 2005 - 11:51

Yes, that would probably be the best solution! However, the X51v is a long-term loaner from Dell that I do not own and cannot sell. I keep the T3 around since I couldn’t get much for it and it is one of my favorite Palm devices that I plan on passing along to my girls.

I may add the Wizard later if T-Mobile sells it in 2006 since I have seen rumored prices less than $400.

9. #9 by mjrkjm on October 12, 2005 - 21:20

palmsolo:
    i am with tmobile and am debating waiting for the wizard or going with ppc-6700
    however, if i hear that the wizard will be under 400$ that is very intriguing, do you have any more info?

10. #10 by palmsolo on October 12, 2005 - 22:34

According to this Mobile Gadget News post Cingular will have them ranging from $299 to $449 so I imagine we’ll see about the same pricing structure from T-Mobile.