Ordered the QTEK 9100, Treo 650 is on the way out

Somebody get me a doctor, I have a problem with PDA addiction:) As I stated here on my blog I was asked to keep the QTEK 9100 a bit longer until the supplier was up and running in their new office. This gave me a chance to check it out some more and as a result I was sucked into the world of the latest and greatest and just ordered my QTEK 9100 production unit from Mad Monkey Boy (aka David Weiniger). Thus my Treo 650 is now getting prepped for departure from my kit and I will probably miss it like I did last time.

I have seen many others debating between keeping a Treo 650 or going for a Wizard and it all comes down to personal preference and desired usage since they are both equally amazing devices. The multitasking, XM Satellite streaming, seamless Outlook use with ActiveSync and shear cutting edge specifications pushed me over to the Wizard and I am not going to look back again.

I am now going to get a big miniSD card and start putting together hacks and applications to load up on the device and hopefull will get it in my hands next week. I am confident the preproduction issues (loose keyboard, RF signal strength, and keyboard backlight) will be fixed and am betting quite a chunk of change on this fact. The keyboard actually did fully backlight when I looked through my camera lens, but it was not visible to the naked eye. RF strength was just as good as the Treo with the production K-JAM and the keyboard was also rock solid.

1. #1 by Darren Humphries on October 14, 2005 - 15:34

Wha?? Didn’t think that was going to happen after your recent post about keeping your Treo. Personally, I thought you were crazy to prefer the Treo, but I see you have come around. 😉

Congrats on your newest toy!

Darren

2. #2 by Luch on October 14, 2005 - 19:26

Welcome to the dark side 🙂

3. #3 by Anonymous on October 15, 2005 - 13:37

Dude- I don’t understand how you get anything done personally or professionally. I could never switch platforms and devices as often as you do. I work in IT, and we always focus on standarization, and don’t mess with something if it is working ok. I tried an ipaq several years ago, and it took many weeks to be able to use the device professional and personally ina productive way.

4. #4 by Anonymous on October 16, 2005 - 17:04

Who said he ws being productive ?

Ha Ha

5. #5 by Anonymous on October 16, 2005 - 17:11

“Who said he ws being productive ?

Ha Ha”

Oh, brother. Everyone’s a comedian around this place…

Actually, I always appreciate the people who put their time in to test all of these devices so that the rest of us have some basis for making our own purchases.

TMann

6. #6 by Anonymous on October 16, 2005 - 17:19

I guess I assumed, with a job, wife, kids, he couldn’t devote a whole lot of time to this stuff. I mean, I love and hate getting a new device-I depend on it every waking moment, and having to relearn stuff or tweak my pc is just incredibly frustrating. Sure, it is fun getting new stuff, but I’m sticking with my treo for a long, long time.

7. #7 by palmsolo on October 16, 2005 - 17:50

Well, I am not like your normal mobile device user since my part time job/hobby is to review hardware, software, and accessories for as many different mobile devices as I can. I actually spend most all of my free time with my wife and daughters and focus on mobile devices when everyone else is sleeping. I get about 4-5 hours a night sleep, which I am used to from my days in the US Coast Guard. I also have a wonderful day job where they believe in having us work our 40 hours only, unless there are urgent client needs. They highly encourage us to spend the rest of our time with family and I couldn’t ask for a better employer.

I am actually quite productive and most people are quite amazed by how much I can get done.

If I was just a person who used mobile devices then I would probably have stuck with my Sony CLIE UX50 and a Bluetooth phone.

8. #8 by Anonymous on October 16, 2005 - 18:48

One of the things that I’ve appreciated about Matt’s blog entries, (and his offline communications,) is the fact that he seems to do his best to put his family first, and his job and other hobbies second. I think that for many of us with young kids, it’s a bit of a challenge to balance the various time commitments in our lives.

As far as switching back and forth between Palm and Pocket PC devices, it really isn’t THAT difficult once you’ve gotten used to both OS’s. I have a bunch of software that I use on each platform, and everytime I “switch” between them, I simply load up all of the latest PIM info onto the new device and I’m off and running.

TMann

9. #9 by Rufan-Redi on October 17, 2005 - 02:48

any thoughts on the Wizard vs the Universal (apart from the latter being quite a bit bigger !)
    besides the WCMDA support is there any reason to go Universal over the Wizard ?

10. #10 by palmsolo on October 17, 2005 - 05:54

I only briefly tried the Universal and found the keyboard too large and the keys too flat. I also have a new requirment for my devices to have EDGE since UMTS is not yet supported here in the US. The VGA screen would be nice, but the smaller size and excelent battery life mean more to me. Also, over $1,000 is just too much for me to pay for a mobile device.

11. #11 by Antoine on October 17, 2005 - 06:18

Ah, so the QTEK did meet your needs 🙂

Glad to hear a decision has come. [mental note to grab up all Treo 650s left by the PalmSolo tornado and create a new mons…eh palm addict out of them 🙂 ]