Sony PSP UMD problem solved

I just returned from a week in Alaska traveling on AMHS ferries and staying down in Seward for work. I read Hacking the PSP and a review of the book will be up on Geek.com shortly. I discovered that I was only able to play World Tour Soccer and Spiderman 2 UMDs with 6 others not working on my trip and was getting worried that my UMD drive was failing. I hunted around online, but nothing I found solved my problem and the only solution that looked viable was to send the PSP back to Sony. This wouldn’t work for me since I bought mine used from someone on Craigslist.

I then took a closer look at the actual UMD disks again, I had already cleaned them off and blew out any dust. I found that the clear plastic on the front side, side opposite the opening for the laser to read the disk, along the top was pressed in a bit on the disks. I shook the UMD and it still had plenty of movement, but then bent them around a bit and was able to get the clear plastic to line up again with the rest of the UMD. I popped in Napoleon Dynamite and it worked like a charm. I was very happy after testing all the rest of the disks, but also quite surprised that the UMD drive would be so sensitive to not function with the plastic just slightly, about 1mm, pushed in on only one part of the disk. I now have to watch how I store the disks a bit better and cannot put my headphones into the same case without some kind of disk protector on the UMDs.

1. #1 by Rudolph H Carn on November 17, 2006 - 08:35

It worked for me too thanks

2. #2 by psp converter on March 5, 2007 - 05:45

dvd to zune converter, vob converter, dvd to psp converter, convert dvd to psp — ipod zune psp video converter software released in http://www.ipod-zune-psp.com

3. #3 by denis on May 2, 2007 - 15:08

ok my psp has the same problem. i hear the disk spinning then stop. is thi what happened to you??

4. #4 by mickey on May 21, 2007 - 19:16

man

lifesaver…i never noticed the protective cover out of whack….i was almost ready to re-purchase the 2 games that were giving me probs.

thanks

ps.
    any knowledge of how to change out a umd disk if the cover is cracked??

5. #5 by steve on June 14, 2007 - 12:33

ok i read everything but my problem is the umd will not appear on the screen

6. #6 by homer on August 23, 2007 - 09:58

then it’s probably your psp system

7. #7 by kasey on November 3, 2007 - 01:22

would u know any way to fix psp that wont read umd and mine wont bring up the umd symbol, it just spins then stops

8. #8 by jesus on January 2, 2008 - 22:46

THanks alot man that really work ..
    live saver iw as really worried thinkign it was teh system but it was umd

9. #9 by daoud on January 26, 2008 - 11:47

can anyone please help me with why my psp wont read umds as soon as I hacked it to 3.71m33-2 on slim psp it wont read umds and the mac address is gone as soon as i pop in a game it spin then frezzes and shuts off if anyone can helped that would be greatly appericated email me at Daoud_F93@hotmail.com

10. #10 by eli on February 8, 2008 - 22:54

daoud i have the EXACT same problem and i just hacked mines also i dont know whats wrong also when i go to my game icon to run a file such as: battery creator or umd emulater it says game could not be started.region code incorrect. my psp works fine with just the powercord in my psp but once i insert a umd bam!!it freezes then shuts down completly!!

11. #11 by Thomas Schmidt on February 18, 2008 - 09:30

OMG you ARE A LIFE SAVER THANK YOU SO MUCH

god bless

12. #12 by zet2006 on March 7, 2008 - 15:53

If you open the umd disck cover one the PSP you’ll see a silver shaft that cliped out Use a tweezer to pull it to the left an clip it back in. It workerd for me good luck

13. #13 by Aaron on May 2, 2008 - 19:01

Awsome tysm

14. #14 by Gaigun221 on June 18, 2008 - 19:15

For the ppl that can’t get homebrew software working turn on pwr and hold R to bring up Recovery Menu, then go into configuration and set UMD mode to M33 Driver -NO UMD-

-Hope this helps