Nokia E61 one week impressions

My Treo 650 is now gone and a few other devices and accessories are up for sale as I settle in with the Nokia E61. I posted a small two part series on ZDNet relating some experiences with the device, Part 1 and Part 2. As you can see I am quite impressed with the device and am now hunting down some 3rd party applications that I can use, such as a Bible.

1. #1 by Karon on June 8, 2006 - 05:52

Matt,

Question for you. If the Motorola Q was out right now GSM unlocked and you could “TMOBILE” it, would you pick it over your E61?

Why/Why Not?

2. #2 by Antoine of MMM on June 8, 2006 - 13:35

Hey Matt;
    If you have an invite, can you check out eBible works out on there. I am intrigued at how well it might or might not work on the E61’s browser.

3. #3 by palmsolo on June 14, 2006 - 11:09

Good question Karon,

The E61 has WiFi and a full Office suite that allows you to create, edit, and view Word, Excel, and PowerPoint documents while the Q has neither. The E61 has also been ROCK SOLID and never reset or locked up once so far. I like the way I can hover over a day in week view and see what appointments I have on the E61 too.

I also like the PUSH email functionality of the E61 and the Q does not yet have this update, although it should be coming sometime.

Honestly, I would probably go for the E61 over the Q and cannot see leaving this device anytime soon.

4. #4 by Karon on June 15, 2006 - 09:00

That is a BOLD statement coming from you!! 🙂

We will see, remember the next new devics are always over the horizon and you always need a gadget fix 🙂

Looks like the E61’s a winner.

We shall see!!

5. #5 by Brandon on June 21, 2006 - 23:09

Hey Matt,

I got the Nokia E61 on the strength of reviews like yours and the obvious passion you had for this phone. I got mine last week, and I can definitely say it’s the best phone I’ve ever owned.

6. #6 by GD Rothenberg on July 5, 2006 - 18:36

Dear palmsolo,

I live in VA and bought an E61 almost the same day you did. While I love the WiFi and internet browsing I have had all kinds of problems with the basic email set ups, let alone push mail that you talk about. Nokia will not support me in the US (since they don’t know the machine) while Nokia europe says to contac the US. Where can I find info on some basic things to do with this phone? How can I get push mail to work using my conventional email accounts, including .Mac? Thanks, GDR

7. #7 by palmsolo on July 6, 2006 - 21:38

GDR, You can’t get Push email functionality unless you have a hosted Exchange, BlackBerry, or other supported account as detailed on the Nokia Business Software site. Otherwise you can just setup POP or IMAP accounts and check them manually. The danger of buying devices like these is the lack of support. However, there are some great S60 forums on All About Symbian and Howard Forums where I regularly find answers and help with questions regarding these devices.

I still love my E61 and use it as my primary device.