Whatever happened to respect and integrity?

Wow, some people online are amazing how they can be so rude and self-serving. I don’t want to get into details since there is a long history of someone I know disrespecting a ton of people (media, public relations, bloggers, etc.) for their own self-serving needs, but I am a bit ticked off that anyone would question my integrity. As a Christian man of the Lord I hold myself to a high level of honesty and truthfulness and would never sell myself out for a silly mobile device. Readers here and on my ZDNet blog know that I always lay it out as I see it and never gloss over or hide any facts about devices because of my integrity and my desire to make sure you all can make the best purchase decisions for yourselves.

The fact that some fool questions me isn’t an issue since that is their right, but to so rudely post publicly about it without the courtesy to contact me first to discuss the issue is uncalled for. Maybe I have newer firmware on my device so my experience is different. Maybe the person should watch my videos where I clearly show exactly what I am talking about. One reason I now do a lot of videos is so that you experience exactly what I am experiencing.

Wouldn’t it be nice if common courtesy and respect was brought back to our society? Let’s make a difference and try to lead by example OK folks.

1. #1 by Kevin C. Tofel on June 10, 2008 - 07:09

After working with you weekly for nearly two years and having met you in person several times, I can understand your frustration. I’ve worked with the individual in question and can say that he’s eroded trust in respect through his actions.

While I very much care of others opinions of me, I completely discount their opinion if they haven’t earned my respect for their opinion. It’s as simple as that. To be “heard” by me, I have to want to hear you. My approach is that I’ll listen to anyone’s opinion except in a case like there where the opinion is solely meant for bad purposes. In essence, the individual you allude to is doing what you suggested above: leading by example. It’s just a sad, poor example that reflects 100x negatively on the person “leading” by it.

Long story short: continue to be the honest person with integrity that you are and ignore those that have none. 🙂

2. #2 by palmsolo on June 10, 2008 - 07:14

Thanks Kevin. Yes, I don’t put any value in what the person said because they are not a person I respect anyway (due to their actions and behavior), but I also think others may read his writings and actually believe what is written. It is just a sad sign of our failing society when people slam others for their own insecurity and benefit.

Let’s lift each other up and try to make each other and the world a better place!

3. #3 by Trevor Nelson on June 10, 2008 - 10:39

Matt,
    I think that those individuals who are swayed by his comments are not really those who you should really care about.
    I read what he said and the comments, and I read what he’s said about James and HTC as well and it’s obvious he has an ax to grind with both HTC (for not providing him demo units) and anyone who writes favorably about their devices.
    As you said, it’s sad that common courtesy and respect weren’t observed, but having reviewed this persons posts it’s obvious that those two traits rarely show up where he’s concerned.

Sorry to see your integrity called into question as it was, but know that he speaks for no one but himself (and the trolls that enjoy that type of thing.)

He succeeded in only making sure that I won’t be a reader of his, while I will continue with your sites.

4. #4 by Mr. Toad on June 10, 2008 - 12:49

Ah yes, pardon the liberty, but I believe I have heard about said fellow as well, and from quite a number of people from different sites & backgrounds! Alas, such triangulation of opinions does not weigh in his favor. His commentary instead brings to mind Matthew 7:5…

5. #5 by May C on June 11, 2008 - 16:51

Sigh. It’s unfortunate that things can turn nasty especially on blogs. I am aware of who you are talking about and have read the post when it was posted a while ago.

I agree that there is obviously an underlying reason for his comments with regards to you and a number of other people (which has been happening a bit more frequently lately) and I am sure as a Christian that you will just let is pass. Letting it get to you certainly isn’t going to make things any better.

Hopefully this will pass. Cheers!

6. #6 by palmsolo on June 12, 2008 - 05:57

Yes, that is exactly my intent. At first I wanted to respond, but that is all that people like that want. They want to keep the conversation going because then it gives them some kind of validation of their involvement.

I know who I am and why I write and there is no way you could ever really convince people of what is in your heart, especially when it doesn’t matter because you are not going to convince them otherwise and is just a waste of your time.